15 April 2009

Brain vs. Beast

Please don't feel bad for my stomach. When I call her a beast, I promise you she likes it. In fact, she couldn't be happier since she has complete control of my life. She just loves to drive my brain crazy, especially when I try to overthink food. So, if I spend a few hours learning about the benefits of flavonoids, found in, you know, fruits and vegetables, SHE will probably want pizza. But today, I thought I had her. We learned about fats this morning. If there is one thing my stomach always wants its fats. And I'm cool with that. It turns out, my brain also loves fat (it's filling, it's delicious, and gosh darn it people like it). SO, imagine my surprise when I get done with work and my stomach wants fruit. Without cheese. And miso soup.

The one time I think I know what's coming BAM she goes and wants soup. SOUP! And fruit. For reals? Are you kidding me?? I'm over this. OVER THIS. Do you know what I would have done for fruit a few days ago? The peace of mind I could have had devouring my flavanoids and vitamins and minerals?? Well obviously she just doesn't care. I think that's pretty clear. And you know what? Maybe I don't care either... Except how could I not care?? I'm the one doing all the freaking work. I'm the one thinking my way through class ALL DAY. So whatever. WHATever. Fine. Have your soup.

Miso Soup.
From the recipe on my miso container, because, if you haven't already gotten it, whatever. However much mushrooms, onions, and garlic your little heart desires sauteed in oil (that's right, fat), probably toasted sesame oil. When they are soft, add stock until you have as much soup as you want. Add peanut butter (oh, do we only have chunky peanut butter, that's too bad)(also, more fat, so suck it). Simmer for a few minutes. Add a couple of spoonfuls of miso. Simmer for a while longer, I don't know, five more minutes? Add some kale (or whatever) and simmer until the kale is soft, maybe five more minutes. In the meantime I made some soba noodles because both she and I hate rice. Then I mixed them together. Also... it was actually good. And a nice spring meal. And the peanut butter was delicious. WHATEVER.

Completely giving into your stomach can be scary, and sometimes surprising. But I have to say, she usually knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment