21 April 2009

Sunburn


Ok, so I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for long enough to know that it's not summer yet. But I also know when a teaser summer day presents itself, you take advantage. So today, after 6 hours in the sun, my stomach is happy but hungry. And craving summer food: hamburgers. Which means re-acquainting myself with my favorite appliance--the grill!!

Despite the fact that the day was set up for disasters: only a half hour of sun left, propane tank (yes, propane, whatever) not hooked up, really have to pee but there isn't enough time (wait, yes there is, there's always time for pee), handling a grill and a stove top that are 20 feet apart with a screen door and two cats in between, timing two meal parts to be done at the same time, and managing the pain of my sunburn. But, this time, everything went fine. My finesse on the grill came back to me, I can totally grill in the dark, my timing is awesome, the sunburn kept me warm when the sun went down. And, I ended up with an amazing burger- with fresh rosemary, thyme, and gorgonzola cheese. Needless to say- it was the perfect end to a perfect summer day.

Oh, were you looking for a rant? Well, you're in luck...

Why do people have to work out outside? I mean, OK, it's like the nicest day ever. But maybe there should be a special place for those special people who feel the need to work out. Yeah, like an enclosed space where the rest of us don't have to see them. Like a jail. With a concrete wall that is both vision and sound proof. I mean c'mon, who runs? Right? Whatever, running is good for you but so boring. And really hard. I walk. I WALK. That's right, I walk to the grocery store, I walk to the Boxcar, sometimes I even walk for fun. But who cares? Really, can't I just take care of myself without running or doing lunges and push-ups and jumping rope in public places? Ok, jumping rope is fun, especially since I double dutch like crazy. One time. But let me ask again, who runs? Except from bears, I just can't figure it out. And seriously, why do runners have to totally ruin my day by running. Oh you think you're so great? Well, check out this sunburn, bitch.


Oh, Bastyr students? Wondering what those potatoes are in the picture? Oh, they're not potatoes, they're those mysterious Jerusalem Artichokes. Prebiotics for my probiotics.

2 comments: