08 March 2010

Too Hungry

You know how sometimes you are just too hungry? And then at the last minute you things that sound delicious to a meal, a grocery cart, or your tab without really thinking them over? I do. Today was a big day. I was going to successfully make mac and cheese NOT from a box. No big deal. Even though I am from Wisco and even though I love cheese and even though I do pretty decent in the kitchen mac and cheese has always been a bit out of reach. But, thanks to the world's best cookbook (thank you, America's Test Kitchen) I had big plans for homemade macaroni today. But, by the time dinner finally rolled around I was TOO hungry. And so was Joe. And so at the last minute we added to the menu. It's not like we just found something else in the fridge either. I actually went to the store. Why? Because what goes better with homemade mac and cheese than homemade garlic cheese bread? Really intelligent move by these two.

Massive amounts of cheese and pasta and bread later I'm not going to say that it was a good idea. But I will say it was delicious. That mac and cheese may have changed my life forever. And I found a recipe for wonderful cheesy bread, which probably seems ridiculous but I've never been able to get that store bought garlic thing going... So here is what I did... I sauteed up some garlic in a little butter until it was golden, then added a bit more butter off of the heat and stirred to melt it (maybe 1/2 stick for a whole baguette) along with some salt and pepper. I smeared it on a halved baguette and then wrapped the baguette up (put back together) in foil. I baked it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, removed the foil and opened the "sandwich" back up, put it back in the oven for another ten minutes and then sprinkled it with cheese, threw the boiler on and waited until it was bubbly and brownish. And can I tell you? DELCIOUS.

Also, for breakfast/brunch today I had these delicious pancakes from the blog I obsess over, everybody likes sandwiches. I'm not kidding when I say that these were the best pancakes ever. Make them with cultured buttermilk and whole milk yogurt and call it a day. Oh, and the apples? WONDERFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment